Sunday, August 2, 2009

Does this go here? (part 1)

I have been thinking rather hard about The Bible as of late. Please forgive me for not thinking of writing on here sooner...

One of my dear friends who I have looked up to for most of my life, told me that he didn't think the Bible was the inspired word of God. What he points out is the origins of the Bible. We are told that the Bible was written over a span of 1600 years, with various authors, (some verbal tradition was put on paper and some direct letters) and then there was the Council of Nicaea, and then we have the word of God in a book. My Friends problem is the Council of Nicaea, and the fact that a Roman emperor paid for it. This is not to say that the Bible has no truth in it, but how can we believe 100% everything as truth?

I have thought of these things before, but I would immediately say "you have to have faith that this is what God wanted". The reason I am having trouble is becuase I have found my self not able to say to someone that they will go to hell if they don't become a christian. If I were born in another country would i have been a Christian? I don't know, but if i wasn't would i have no hope. (save a mission trip coming to my town) Which leads to the idea that there could be different forms of truth, so to speak.

I have more to say but i have to go.

No comments: