Monday, July 6, 2009

The Curious Case of ... Work

I saw the "Curious Case of Benjamin Button" a couple days ago.  The movie was very interesting.  On our way to rent it, Naomi told me what it was about.  

It is about a baby who is born old.  As he ages, the baby grows younger.

I decided before we rented it that I really didn't want to watch the movie.  It was a strange idea, and somewhat creepy.  But I'm really glad I did watch it.  It's not that I liked it or that I enjoyed it ... but mostly I'm just glad because it impacted me.

There is one scene in the movie ... that I thought was really neat (and applicable to my life).  The kid has been born, and he has grown up as an old person in this nursing home...spending all of his time around old people.  He has been in a wheelchair, and then on a cane, and he has just now really been able to walk or stand without assistance.  His mom has finally given him permission to leave the nursing home, during the day, so that he can sit out on the docks and watch the fishermen do their jobs.

One day, a tugboat is one man short, and the captain asks for a volunteer to work.  None of the other people on the dock want to work because they know that this particular captain won't pay them enough.  But the kid, who appears to be an old man, volunteers for the job.

As he's out on the boat, doing the lowest jobs, scrubbing bird droppings, etc ... doing the stuff that other people were unwilling to do because they thought they could get a better deal ... He thinks to himself "I could not believe that I was going to get paid to do something I would have gladly done for free."

My job is lame.  ... or it was lame ... or it is lame when I have a lame perspective.  But there exists this perspective that looks something like this:  ... There are a lot of people who cannot work.  They cannot move around or get out of the house or do things with their hands.  They cannot type or solve problems.  They cannot have that feeling of doing a job well... And I think my current job lets me have a little bit of all of these things.  I should relish it while I can.

No comments: